Infant Baptism (under age 7)
Parents desiring Baptism for their child should either download a registration packet (English) (Spanish) or pick one up in the parish office. Once you have had an opportunity to complete the form, please call and schedule an interview with either Brian Hanson (English) or Maria Diaz (Spanish). Your class and baptismal date will be scheduled at that time.
General Policy for Infant Baptisms at St. Joan of Arc
Parents seeking baptism must have at least a three-month history as registered and actively participating members of the parish prior to the Baptism. If registered in another parish and the grandparents of the infant to be baptized are registered parishioners of St. Joan of Arc, the parents must have a letter of permission from the pastor of their home parish. Parents are required to attend one personal interview with a member of the baptismal team and two formation classes.
Godparent requirements and information.
Godparents are chosen for their faith commitment and ability to assist the child and parents in their faith journey. It is customary to have two Godparents for Baptism, but only one is required by Cannon Law. A Godparent may be either male or female. If two are chosen, then one must be male and the other female. Only one of each gender may be listed as Godparents. It is strongly suggested that Godparents attend a formal baptismal class either at St. Joan of Arc or at their own parish.
Godparents must meet the following requirements:
(16 years or older)
- May not be natural or adoptive parents of the child being baptized
- Fully initiated Roman Catholic (Baptism, Confirmation, Eucharist)
- Must be leading a life in harmony with the Faith (a practicing Catholic)
- If married, marriage must be validated by the Catholic Church
- If unmarried, divorced, or separated, must not be cohabitating
- Must be free of any canonical impediment. (CC 1311)
At St. Joan of Arc, the sacrament of Baptism is a community rite. It allows the Catholic community to welcome your baby into the family of the Church. For this reason, we only offer group baptisms. Baptisms are held the fourth Sunday of every month (with some exceptions) at 2:00pm (Spanish) and 3:00pm (English). (Please refer to the baptismal schedule that will be presented at the personal interview for beginning Baptismal preparation.)
* Please note: All requirements and necessary paperwork assigned by the member of the Baptismal Team, must be met and completed no later than one week prior to the baptismal date.